Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Let the sunshine in...





Hi!!!
      
      This will be my first recipe related post so bare with me. Did that sound like a warning? It was. I'm in no way a professional baker and have no training of that sort so what I make I make from the heart... with LOVE.

      I own a notebook that's filled with recipes I would love to try and this year I hope to make them all. My family and friends are always saying I should post online, take more pictures, get creative and they are right. I promise I will try, step by step I will get where I should be.

      This summer has been super hot here in Puerto Rico and we know HOT!!! I thought it was only appropriate for my first posted recipe to be something light, delicious but most of all refreshing. I know its sweet, I'm guilty of loving sugar but it has fruit in it and that's got to count for something, right? 

      Through all my years baking I have found that there is something that's key for a delicious treat... FRESH ingredients. Fresh eggs, good butter, flour that has been well preserved, fresh milk. Keeping things fresh and the kitchen clean it's a must, although when you have kids it can be a challenge... the super clean kitchen part that is.

      So, I'm stopping the nervous rambling now and I will leave you with an easy, delicious recipe for your family. The 4th of July is coming soon so using blueberry and strawberries or raspberries can be very festive and a beautiful way to put something really special at your dinner table that day. ENJOY!!!!!

Luz

BERRY BERRY TRIFLE

For the sponge cake:
1/2 cup real butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs

Cream together the butter and sugar until light in color. Beat in the eggs. Mix in the flour. Bake at 325 until golden on edges or use the toothpick on the center trick.

For the whipped cream:
3 cups heavy whipping cream (make sure it's really cold)
3 tsp vanilla extract
3-6 tbsp confectioners sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
 
Start whipping the cream and when it starts to get stiff add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff picks start to form. Don't over-beat or it will become lumpy. Refrigerate until needed. Tip: Putting the whisk and mixing bowl in the freezer for at least 10 minutes before beginning helps a lot to achieve the right texture of the whipped cream.


Fruit:
Since it's a Berry Berry trifle use any kind of berry you love or can find in season, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry... any berry you like.e

Assembly:

For the bottom layer you can cut the cake in the shape of the glass it will go in or my preferred method, crumbling it.
Pour a spoonful or pipe the whipped cream on top and then fruit. From here on you can put as many layers as you like in the order you like... be creative!!!! You may top it with fruit or chocolate chips, nuts, anything you feel like having with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment